VOS is a marketplace where you can purchase ethical goods and services directly from sellers around the world. Whether you are looking for vegan or sustainable items, we want you to have a positive experience shopping on our platform. Please read on to find out more about your rights, as well as what is expected of you, as a buyer.
- Understanding VOS’s Limitations as a Venue
- Communicating with Other VOS Members
- Purchasing an Item on VOS
- Leaving a Review of an Item
- Creating and Uploading Content
- Reporting a Problem with an Order or Returning an Item
1. Understanding VOS’s Limitations as a Venue
VOS provides a destination for buyers to discover and purchase from sellers around the world. It is important to note that VOS is not a part of that transaction. By shopping on VOS, you understand that:
- You are not buying directly from VOS, but from one of the many talented sellers on the platform;
- Each seller on VOS has their own processing times, delivery methods, and shop policies; and
- You assume responsibility if you provide your own materials for a custom order.
As a member of the community, you have the opportunity to report an item or a shop that violates any of VOS’s policies. Flagging is confidential.
2. Communicating with Other community members
You can use VOS’s Messages (“Messages”) tool to communicate directly with sellers or other VOS members. Messages are a great way to ask sellers any questions you have about an item or an order. Messages may not be used for the following activities:
- Sending unsolicited advertising or promotions, requests for donations or spam;
- Harassing or abusing another member or otherwise being disrespectful or harmful;
- Contacting someone after they have explicitly asked you not to; or
- Interfering with a transaction or the business of another member.
Interference occurs when a member intentionally interferes with another member’s shop in order to drive away their business. Interference is strictly prohibited on VOS. Examples of interference include:
- Contacting another member via VOS Messages to warn them away from a particular member, shop, or item;
- Posting in public areas to demonstrate or discuss a dispute with another member;
- Purchasing from a seller for the sole purpose of leaving a negative review;
- Maliciously clicking on a competitor’s Promoted Listings ads in order to drain that member’s advertising budget, also known as ‘click fraud’.
Any use of VOS Messages to harass other members is strictly prohibited. Similarly, Messages may not be used to support or glorify hatred or otherwise violate our Anti-Discrimination Policy. If you receive a Message that violates this policy, please let us know right away.
3. Purchasing an Item on VOS
When you buy from a shop on VOS, you’re directly supporting an independent business, each with its unique listings, policies, processing times and payment systems. By making a purchase from a seller on VOS, you agree that you have:
- Read the item description and shop policies before making a purchase;
- Submitted appropriate payment for item(s) purchased; and
- Provided accurate delivery information to the seller.
4. Leaving a Review of an Item
Reviews are a great way to learn about a seller’s items, help good sellers build a strong reputation, or help warn other buyers about a poor experience.
You can leave a review, including a one to five star rating and a photograph of your purchase, for 100 days after your item’s estimated delivery date. If an estimated delivery date is not available, the review window opens after the order’s processing time and delivery time have elapsed. You can edit your review, including the photograph, any number of times during that 100 day period. Your review and/or photograph and profile information will be publicly displayed on the seller’s listing and review pages.
By leaving a review or photograph, you acknowledge that your content may not:
- Contain private information;
- Contain obscene, racist, or harassing language or imagery;
- Contain prohibited medical drug claims;
- Contain advertising or spam;
- Be about things outside the seller’s control, such as a delivery carrier, VOS, or a third party;
- Contain threats or extortion;
- Include shilling or otherwise falsely inflate a shop’s review score; or
- Undermine the integrity of the Reviews system.
By uploading a photograph to one of VOS’s websites or VOS’s mobile app, you warrant that:
- You own the photograph or you have the rights or permission to use the photograph; and
5. Creating and Uploading Content
As a member of VOS, you have the opportunity to create and upload a variety of content, like Messages, text, photos, and videos. In order to keep our community safe and respectful, you agree that you will not upload content that is:
- Abusive, threatening, defamatory, harassing, or otherwise in violation of our Anti-Discrimination Policy;
- Obscene or vulgar;
- In violation of someone else’s privacy or intellectual property rights; or
- False, deceptive or misleading.
6. Reporting a Problem with an Order or Returning an Item
VOS’s Case System
Although VOS is not directly involved in a transaction between a buyer and a seller, we provide a case system in the unlikely event that your order does not go as expected. By using VOS’s case system, you understand that VOS may use your personal information for the purpose of resolving disputes with other members. You can use VOS’s case system to come to a resolution with the seller in the event of a non-delivery or if an item you receive is not as described in the listing. (Click here to learn more about cases, including your eligibility for opening a case, and how to escalate a case to VOS.) If you choose a refund as your preferred resolution, keep in mind that VOS only allows on-platform refunds for a period of 180 days post-transaction. After this 180 window has elapsed, VOS can’t support on-platform refunds for your order. However, you may still communicate directly with the seller to come to an off-platform resolution. Refunds issued by VOS will be in your original form of payment, and if such payment is not available, an VOS credit will be issued.
A non-delivery occurs when a buyer places an order but does not receive the item. The following are examples of non-delivery cases:
- There is no proof that the item was dispatched to the buyer.
- An item was not sent to the address provided on VOS.
Not as Described
An item is not as described if the buyer can demonstrate that it is significantly different from the seller’s listing description or photos. Here are a few examples of not as described cases:
- The item received is a different colour, model, version or size.
- The item has a different design or material.
- The seller failed to disclose that an item is damaged or is missing parts.
- The buyer received the incorrect quantity of items (e.g., the buyer purchased three items but only received two).
- The item was advertised as authentic but is not authentic.
- The condition of the item is misrepresented (e.g., the item is described as new but is used).
Not as described cases can also be filed for late delivery. In order to qualify as late delivery, the buyer must provide proof that all of these conditions have been met:
- The item(s) were ordered for a specific date or event.
- The item(s) are rendered useless after that date.
- The seller did not ship the item(s) according to their processing time or the date agreed upon in Messages.
If VOS determines that an item is not as described, the seller will be required to refund the order, including original postage and return postage. In the event that VOS needs to refund the return postage cost on behalf of the seller, that refund may come in the form of an VOS Credit. For more information about VOS Credits, please click here.
Some disputes don’t qualify for VOS’s case system. These include:
- Items that are damaged by delivery carrier (if properly packaged by the seller).
- Items that have been altered, used, worn, washed, or discarded after receipt.
- Items that are received after the agreed-upon delivery date due to delivery delays.
- Items that are returned without a return agreement.
- Items that are accurately described but don’t meet a buyer’s expectations.
- Cost of delivery disputes.
- Items that are purchased in person.
- Items prohibited from sale on VOS, including services and intangible goods.
- Transactions where payment is not made via VOS’s checkout system.
Requesting a Cancellation
Only sellers may cancel transactions. Buyers may request that a seller cancel an order via VOS Messages. Note that all cancellations must comply with our Anti-Discrimination Policy.
Returning an Item
Each seller has his or her own return policies, which should be outlined in their Shop Policies. Not all sellers accept returns. If you reside in the European Union, you may be entitled to a 14-day “cooling off period,” or a “right of withdrawal,” during which you may return an item for any reason. Read more about the EU right of withdrawal in this Help article.