We’re here to make buying and selling earth friendly goods easier than ever before. Email in box message us anytime and we will get back to you as swiftly as possible.
+ - First time seller?
Congratulations, you’ve sold your first item on VOS!
Here are a few important things to check before you send your item:
Verify your PayPal account.
As you’re a new seller, your PayPal account may need verifying. If your account hasn’t been fully set up, you won’t receive your money.
Before you ship, make sure your payment has completed.
Only ship your item once your payment has fully completed and funds are accessible in your PayPal account, so please check before you ship.
Please note: shipping your item(s) before the funds have cleared will void your Seller Protection, so make sure the payment is under your ‘completed’ transactions rather than ‘pending’
Send your items with tracked shipping.
Once you’re all sorted and your payment has cleared, next thing is shipping it out. Always make sure that you send your items with tracked shipping so that you’re covered if anything should go wrong.
+ - I haven't received my payment
Can’t see your payment? This could be due to a few reasons:
- The payment is unclaimed in your PayPal account. This means your PayPal account isn’t verified. To verify your PayPal account, you’ll need to provide PayPal with more account details. Log in to your PayPal to find out more.
- The payment hasn’t cleared yet. The buyer has paid via credit card, which PayPal treats as an ‘eCheque‘. They can take 7-10 business days to clear. Don’t ship your item until your payment has cleared, doing so will void your Seller Protection.
- The payment has been placed on hold by PayPal. This means the money has been successfully deposited into your account, but is temporarily inaccessible until your buyer has received the item they ordered in the condition promised. All you need to do is upload your tracking information to the transaction details page in PayPal – click here to find out how and for more information on this.
+ - VOS fees / Why have I been charged?
When you sell an item or service VOS will automatically charge the 5% fee on the total transaction amount (including shipping costs). This charge will be taken directly from your PayPal account or the card you are using for payments before the remainder of the money you have made is paid to you.
– 5% + V.A.T for every transaction
– PayPal transaction fee of 2.9% + £0.30 in the UK and 2.9% + $0.30 in the USA
If you are in the USA and have added USPS shipping, this amount will also be taken.
Why does VOS charge 5%?
The 5% fee is in place to keep the app up and running, with general up-keep costs and to pay all of our employees, from engineers, to design, to our product team, and to us in the Support team that are writing this very article!
We also charge a monthly subscription fee of £5.99 for you to have your own shop and unlimited listings.
+ - Why did VOS take money from my bank account?
VOS does not have any access to your Paypal, bank or credit card details, and could never take any unauthorised payments from you.
If for any reason you have a negative balance in your PayPal account when you buy or sell something on VOS, you get charged the sum due to VOS for that transaction plus the pending negative balance you owe to PayPal (which might or might not be related to VOS).
PayPal will then charge that total amount on the bank account/card linked to your PayPal account, and that’s why you see a ‘PAYPAL/VOS‘ payment in your bank/card statement.
If you wish to have more information about this as well as a detailed breakdown of charges, I suggest you contact PayPal directly.
PayPal have specifically asked us to direct these types of queries to them, as they cannot share with us any details about your account for clear data and privacy reasons.
+ - The buyer says they haven't received their item
As long as the transaction was made using the ‘BUY’ button then you are both covered by PayPal Protection, this means that the buyer can decide to open an ‘item not received’ or ‘not as described’ claim.
Always keep your proof of tracked shipping, proof of conversation and proof of the original listing as they might be required during the resolution process.
It might be that an item gets lost in the post, if so then you can open a claim with the shipping provider used.
If you’re in the UK then tap here.
If you’re in the U.S then tap here.
PayPal only accepts tracked postage as valid proof so we always recommend that sellers send any and all items tracked!
+ - The buyer says the item is 'not as described'
All transactions made through the ‘BUY’ button are eligible for PayPal and VOS protection. If a buyer feels as though the item they’ve received isn’t what was advertised then they can raise a dispute with PayPal. Always hold onto any proof of postage and conversations with the buyer as these may be needed if a claim is made.
If PayPal verifies that the item isn’t as described or was mis-sold then they’ll most likely ask the buyer to return it to you. Once they do this and provide proof of postage, the funds will be transferred from your account back to theirs.
If PayPal verifies the item was advertised correctly then they will most likely close the claim in your favour.
If you’re enquiring about a claim that has already been resolved, then the best thing is to contact PayPal directly. If you need any help with an ongoing claim then we’re always here to help.
+ - How do I refund my buyer?
If you need to refund your buyer you can do this from your PayPal account by doing the following:
- Log in to your PayPal account (via a desktop/laptop rather than the app)
- On the Summary page, find the transaction you wish to refund and click on it.
- If you don’t see the item that needs to be refunded, click ‘Activity’
- On the Transaction Details page, click ‘Issue a refund’’
- Follow the steps to issue a refund to your buyer
If you need a bit more info then just click here.
As a private seller, you are not required to offer a refund for an item you sell. However, if you are a registered business, you must follow the relevant distance selling regulations. Buyers can open a dispute up to 180 days from the transaction if they feel the item is ‘not as described’.
When refunding a buyer, it’s important to refund directly from the original transaction. This way, the refund is associated with the transaction and therefore cannot be disputed.
+ - How to sell safely
- Only sell on VOS.world. Payment methods outside the site, such as bank transfers, direct PayPal payments, cash or other methods, are not safe and are against out Terms of Service
- Make sure the payment has cleared. When you sell an item, log into your PayPal account and check that the payment has come through (and is not Pending). If you ship the item before receiving the payment, you will not be covered by Seller Protection if anything goes wrong
- Send the item to the address located in your Sold Items list to be covered by Seller Protection. If you ship it to another address, you will not be covered. If the buyer asks you to ship to another address, tell them you will have to refund them the item, ask them to update their VOS address and then buy the item again
- Ship using a tracked and signed for delivery method. Only use tracked and signed for shipping where possible. This is required in order to be eligible for Seller Protection. Take that price into consideration when setting shipping prices!
- Keep your proof of postage. If something goes wrong with the transaction you will be able to prove the item was sent. Keep in mind that, in order to be valid, your proof of postage needs to contain the buyer’s address and date of shipping
- Add Tracking Details. Every sale will prompt you for tracking details – keep your Buyers updated by adding this as soon as you have posted
- Follow up. Send the buyer an in-app message to make sure that they have received the item and they’re happy with it
+ - I haven't received my item
All in-app purchases made using the buy button are covered by Buyer Protection. You’ll get a full refund if the seller hasn’t sent your item.
- Contact the Seller directly for an update
- Ask the Seller if the item has been shipped and proof of shipping
- Check the tracking details to see the status of your order
- If the seller doesn’t get back to you or the item has not been shipped after 7 days, please report in app by going to:
- Profile > Settings > Need help? > Buying > My purchase > Select your issue there
- Only items purchased inside of VOS with the BUY button are covered by Buyers Protection
- You can open a dispute on PayPal from 7 days up to 180 days from the transaction date *
If you paid outside of the app, scroll to the bottom of your list of transactions (inside the App) and select ‘item not shown’.
Out-of-webaite payments do not offer any protection and are against our rules. Please report the issue so we can take action against the Seller, and help keep VOS a safe place to Buy and Sell.
* All transactions that have gone through PayPal will need to be refunded via the PayPal dispute process. This is because these transactions come directly from the buyer’s and seller’s personal PayPal accounts.
At VOS, we don’t have the authority to issue refunds directly from a seller’s personal PayPal account – only PayPal can do this.
+ - My item is not as described
To get a refund for an item that is significantly not as described:
- Open a case in PayPal’s Dispute Resolution Centre for any item bought inside of VOS here
- PayPal will firstly ask you to return the item to the seller using tracked mail (they will provide you with the seller’s address)
- PayPal will hold the payment until the seller receives the item
- Once the seller receives the item, the full amount you paid will be transferred back into your PayPal account
Both you and the seller are fully protected during the returns process using this method.
If you win the dispute with PayPal, they will also cover the postage costs. Find out more here
+ - How to get a refund
As VOS is a marketplace, all refunds should be arranged between you and the seller.
- Private sellers are not required by law to offer refunds, so before buying an item it’s important to check the Seller’s return policy.
- Contact the seller first to explain the situation and ask them for a refund
- If you agree on a return, make sure you ship your item using only a tracked, signed for method
- If the item has arrived and it’s not as described you can open a dispute with PayPal. For more info click here.
+ - I haven't received my item I purchased less than a week ago
All in-app purchases are covered by Buyer Protection, so no need to worry if your item hasn’t arrived yet.
We hold off opening investigations until a week has passed since the initial transaction to give the seller time to ship and to account for shipping delays. The best thing to do here is to contact the seller and ask them for an update.
+ - The seller I purchased from is no longer active
All purchases made in-app using the BUY button are protected by Buyer Protection. This means you’ll get a full refund if the seller hasn’t shipped your item.
Don’t worry if the seller you purchased from is no longer visible in the app. It just means that we recently investigated their account and have suspended them to protect the VOS Community.
To get a full refund, just tap here and open a dispute with PayPal.
PayPal will reach out to the seller, and if they’re unable to provide proof of shipping, you’ll be refunded in full.